Freya Lodge was established in 1951, and has been promoting Norwegian and Scandinavian traditions in the greater Sonoma County area since then. Located in the heart of wine country and over 160 members strong, we welcome people of Scandinavian descent and all other persons who wish to share our interest in, and pursuit of, those activities which will expand our awareness and knowledge of our heritage while building friendships, helping others and having fun.
Our theme is Culture, Community, Camaraderie.
Click here for a welcome message from our Lodge President.
Special Events - Fun for the Whole Family
Join us for our Fall Dessert Social 7:00pm on Friday, September 9th, 2016
Vikingfest is October 8th
Our lodge hall is available for members to rent for day and evening use.
Freya Lodge has a variety of opportunities for fun and fellowship featuring special traditions:
- A traditional Lutefisk and Meatball dinner in January.
- Scandinavian Brunch in the Spring.
- 17.mai celebration with flag parade and lunch at Sons of Norway Hall in Santa Rosa..
- Our annual Viking Fest showcasing Nordic arts and crafts, food traditions, heritage keepsakes, cultural displays and demonstrations in early October to coincide with Leif Erikson Day.
- The magical Juletrefest (Christmas Tree Festival) with traditional desserts, singing and dancing around the tree and a visit from Julenisse (Santa).
- And much more...
Want to learn more? Click on the Membership link to the left or visit our Events page to see what we're up to next. We welcome all persons, young and old alike, who are interested in Scandinavian food, culture and heritage as well as making friendships that last a lifetime. You don't have to be Norwegian to participate or join. Come check us out.
Sons of Norway International
The mission of Sons of Norway is to promote, preserve, and cherish a lasting appreciation of the heritage and culture of Norway and other Nordic countries while growing soundly as a fraternal benefit society and offering maximum benefits to its members.
Sons of Norway was organized as a fraternal benefit society by 18 Norwegian immigrants in Minneapolis, Minnesota, on January 16, 1895. The purposes and goals of the Founding Fathers were to protect members of Sons of Norway and their families from the financial hardships experienced during times of sickness or death in the family. Over time, the mission of Sons of Norway was expanded to include the preservation of Norwegian heritage and culture in our Society. We have grown since our beginning and are now the largest Norwegian organization outside Norway.
Sons of Norway is North America's oldest and largest Nordic-American society. We provide a wide range of social, heritage, cultural, fraternal, and financial benefits. By purchasing our financial products, you help support Sons of Norway's heritage and cultural programs.
Sons of Norway's current benefits are:
- Viking Magazine, issued monthly, featuring articles of interest to Nordic Americans
- Financial benefits of membership are provided through a wide array of products and services
- A quarterly newsletter available to children through age 15
- Travel programs to Norway
- Monthly lodge programs featuring music, speakers, and videos on Norway
- Various educational and cultural scholarships
- Language and heritage classes
- Heritage books offering maps and books on language, travel, nature, and history
- Cultural Skills programs including crafts, genealogy, literature, folk dancing, and cooking
- Recreational activities including orienteering, ski events, and our Sports Medal program
- Optional community outreach programs
- Discounts on hotel and car rental
- Imported maps of Norway
- Other projects and programs for members of all ages
Contact Our Membership Chair to learn more about Freya Lodge and Sons of Norway.